Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Be STILL


Steven Curtis Chapman "Be Still and Know"


Do you remember when you were little and your Mom or Dad told you to "sit still?" As kids we were always on the go. Moving, talking, playing, just being all over the place. We could never sit still and just listen. These days, kids have DVD players in cars and so many shows and video games and whatever else to keep them "still".

As adults, what do we have to keep up still? And even when we are still, are our minds still? I know that my mind races a thousand miles a minute. From the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep, I am thinking about what time it is, to when I will get to work, what I have to do at work that day, what is happening after work, what bills need to be paid, how the house needs to be cleaned or laundry needs to be done, how empty my house feels, etc, etc. Psalm 46:10 says "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth."

God commands a spiritual calm in spite of the shaking mountains and waters. As we all know, a spiritual calm does not come from a lack of trials and tribulations, we find it when we become steady, and we reflect on the ways God has intervened in our lives.

Just a few short months ago when my world crumbled around me, I flinched. My faith flinched. Now, I am trying to stand still — not because of the self-made confidence that everyone seems to think I have, not because I am so strong in the face of disaster, and not because I have always been able to get up and brush myself off and keep going, but because of what I know about God. Romans 15:4 says "For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope."

Exodus 14:13a says "And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you today..." Know that he is God!

No comments:

Post a Comment